Study in Canada


Do you have a low grade like 2:2 or a second class lower in your previous degree, OND, HND and you are considering coming to study in Canada for a Master’s degree? 

This information is for you.

Note that admission into graduate programs(masters/PhDs) in Canada is highly competitive. A minimum of 70-75% CGPA is the commonly required grade. This is on a 3.5/5.0 CGPA scale. Additionally, Applicants who successfully apply, get an offer, and some they offered entrance funding based on merit, it is either they have a higher grade or also those going for research-based programs.

 Reasons for this:

  1. Canada has up to 100+ universities
  2. Not all the universities in Canada offer master’s/PhDs
  3. Not all the universities in Canada will offer your course/program of interest
  4. Among all the universities that will offer your program of interest will have the number of students they can admit per intake
  5. There will be a tendency that students will apply more than the expected numbers

Typically, Canadian schools do not accept HNDs for Masters/Ph.D. The master’s degree requirement for admission is usually a 4 years BSc degree, In addition to your overall BSc grades, some universities will also focus on the grade from the last two years semesters of your BSc degree.



If you want to beat the odds to study in Canada with a low BSc grade, or OND/HND continue reading.

Do you want to come to study in Canada with your OND/HND or 2;2 CGPA/ Low BSc grade and you are looking for an easy route, the only means is for you to apply for a graduate certificate program or equivalent. It can also be referred to as Post graduate diploma (PGD) or Post Baccalaureate Diploma. 

This is a good option for those with low grades or OND/HND. The program also attracts a Post graduate work permit (PGWP) and every other benefit that is available for international students if they get an admission offer for a graduate certificate program or PGD.

If you have decided to explore a harder route to apply for a master’s/PhD program, you can because it is not something that is impossible. Some people have adopted this harder route in the past but the truth is they use more than their low grades. Let me give you hints on some things they use to back up their low grades and position themselves for the opportunity which results in their successful admission applications. 

Some of the things to do:

  • Get yourself a supervisor for a research-based master’s program alongside a research and publication portfolio
  • Show proof that you have a professional related experience
  • There are lower-ranked schools you can apply to
  • Write standardized tests like GMAT, GRE, or IELTS and pass them, if it is required for your course/program of interest
  • Arranged well-prepared documents like your CV, SOP, and Reference letters

In addition, here are some schools you can study in Canada that have been considerate to accept international students with lower grades ( like 2:2 or second-class lower) to apply for a master’s degree program.

  • Royal Roads University
  • University of Canada West 
  • Saint Mary’s University
  • University of Regina
  • Memorial University
  • Mount Saint Vincent University
  • Thomson Rivers University
  • Bishop’s University
  • Canadian Mennonite University
  • Crandall University
  • Saint Paul University
  • University of Prince Edward Islands
  • Brandon University

And as earlier stated, those students who were admitted through this route came to the admission table with more than low grades. Therefore check some of the schools mentioned, check their admission requirements, update your profile and see if you stand a chance to be admitted to study in Canada.

However, all these graduate certificate programs are not meant for students with ND/HND or BSc low grades alone. They are programs that are very practical and offer hands-on training. So students with 2(second-class upper) and first-class CGPAS can decide to apply for the program if they don’t want to do a master’s directly.

Graduate certificate programs or postgraduate diplomas are mostly offered by Canadian colleges and some Canadian universities also offer them too. The duration of the programs varies, it could be 2years or one-year maximum depending on the program you’re applying for and the schools where it is being offered.

Lastly, take note of these important things

Note that, it is highly recommended for an international student who wants to study in Canada to apply to an approved designated learning institution that would make you eligible for a post-graduate work permit if you’re planning to stay back in Canada after your study.

Check here if you want to know a school that is a designated learning institution and if their programs are marked for a post-graduate work permit. I hope you will find this useful in some ways, and I wish you all the best in your application to study in Canada. 

If you are still finding it difficult how to go about your study in Canada application, do not look further because we are here to help you achieve your dreams. Our services include study abroad, visa advisory, immigration services, etc. Contact us for our services

Leave a Reply