Stay back in Canada


The goal of many international students is not only to come to study in Canada but to also have the opportunity to work and stay back in Canada, perhaps becoming permanent residents. It was confirmed by the Canadian Bureau for international education that about 60% of international students plan to apply for permanent residence in Canada.

Apparently many students are already aware that the length of their post-graduate work permit (PGWP) is determined by the duration of their study in Canada. A postgraduate work permit(PGWP) allows international students to stay back in Canada to work after their studies and acquire the necessary work experience needed for their career, and permanent resident application and also equipped them for the job market.

So, if you apply for a one-year program automatically you are eligible for a one-year postgraduate permit and if it is a 2 years study program,  you will get up to 3 years of PGWP which makes you eligible to stay back in Canada.

For more information on PGWP including the process and requirements click here

Now let’s dive into how you can stay back in Canada after your studies.



Stay Back in Canada After Studies Possible Options

If your desire is to get a permanent residence permit status to remain permanently in Canada after you do a one-year program, then all you need to do is to figure out how to become a permanent resident before you complete the one-year program. Although for a student to work on a permanent residence permit during the one-year PGWP, can be quite time-consuming and difficult, especially for students who needed at least one year of work experience in Canada to be eligible for permanent residence in Canada.

Apparently, some students have been able to apply successfully in the past and they were able to submit at least a full application before the one-year work permit elapses. But before you can do this you need to be prepared and plan well. Firstly, one of the plans option to adopt, is that you have to know your permanent residence options and make a full permanent residence application before the one-year expires. If you can do this successfully, then you to apply for a bridging open work permit(BOWP) that will allow you to still continue working whilst the time a decision is made on your permanent residence application.

Note that your PGWP is only issued once in a lifetime but with BOWP you will keep working because you have a permanent residence application being processed. Remember it is stated that you must have submitted a full permanent residence application not only by expressing interest or setting up a permanent residence profile that makes you only eligible for BOWP.

For more information on the BOWP, the process, and requirements in Canada click here

Many students that are able to submit a full permanent residence application during their one-year study for PGWP, either get a job early before or after completing their programs and they started working when they applied for a post-graduate work permit or they might need the Canadian degree to get more points for another permanent residence program like express entry. 

Also, it is advisable for students applying for a one-year program to consider studying in a province that has student nominee programs that do not require students to have a full year of Canadian working experience. For example in some provinces like Saskatchewan you only need 6 months of post-study work experience to be eligible for a student nomination for permanent residence. So if you are that type of student who before you can become a permanent resident will need a nomination it is advisable you consider this, or know your options and plan ahead.

If you check the available options and it is kind of looking difficult to pull through to get a permanent residence with your one-year PGWP that means you have to adopt the option of doing 2nd program for another year to make it 2years of study after the first program. If you can adopt this option, you can combine the two degrees to get up to 3 years of work permit.

Although, the second program must be done before applying for the PGWP. Basically, some people referred to it as a 1+1 study in Canada. You can pursue the second program anywhere in Canada, it could be in another school or another city/province. So far it is a DLI eligible for PGWP.

Also be reminded that for you to pursue the 2nd program you will be needing proof of funds, and other documents to extend your work permit, although it is easier to apply for a work permit since you will be applying from inside Canada. If eventually, you didn’t end up getting a permanent residence permit after you got a one-year PGWP or submitting at least a full permanent residence application to get a bridging open work permit BOWP.



Here are some options left for you to stay back in Canada

  • Return to study again and get a new study permit but unfortunately, you won’t get another PGWP afterward.
  • Get a separate work permit by looking for a job/employer to sponsor you
  • Get a spouse/partner who is a permanent resident to sponsor you for permanent residence
  • Explore the option of applying for a visitor’s record to maintain valid status because without this you cannot work legally but you can remain legally in Canada to explore your option of PR.

So if otherwise, you will be required to leave Canada.

You can explore all these methods to be able to stay back in Canada after your studies. Finally, we will always update you on any new development or options you can explore, always be on the lookout and regularly check here for available resources and information on how you can improve your chances to stay back in Canada. And for your study application and visa processing kindly click here

Leave a Reply