Study in the US with F-1 M1 Student Visa

Student Visa

Study in the US with F-1 M1 Student Visa

The United States has become known for its outstanding universities and high educational standards. As a result, many international students apply each year to study in the United States. You will need either the F-1 or M-1 student visa to study full-time as an international student. Each of these student visas is a nonimmigrant visa that allows you to study in the United States if you meet certain requirements.

ALSO READ: US Student Visa: 9 Guide for International Students

Eligibility Requirements for Student Visas

To qualify for an F-1 or M-1 visa, USCIS states that you must:

  • Enroll full-time in a “academic” educational program, a language training program, or a vocational program.
  • Acceptance into a school recognized by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration and Customs Enforcement
  • Be proficient in English or be enrolled in classes that will lead to English proficiency
  • Proof of sufficient of  funds to support yourself for the duration of the proposed course of study.
  • Maintain residence abroad and have no intention of giving it up

Which Student Visa to Apply For

​The type of visa you apply for will be determined by the type of schooling you plan to pursue.
F-1 Student Visa
The F-1 “Academic Student” visa is intended for individuals who intend to study at an academic institution or language training program (including accredited colleges, universities, seminaries, conservatories, academic high schools and elementary schools). To be eligible, the program in which you are enrolled must result in the obtaining of a degree, diploma, or certificate, and the school must be authorised by the US government to accept international students.
M-1 Student Visa
The M-1 “Vocational Student” visa is intended for students in vocational or other non-academic programs other than language training.

How to Apply for a Student Visa

To apply for a student visa, you must first be accepted into one of the aforementioned SEVP-approved institutions, which means you must first apply to the institution itself. After being accepted, you will determine which student visa you require and apply on the base requirements of your US Embassy or Consulate. You will complete all online application forms before scheduling an interview.

Make sure you apply far enough ahead of the start date of your school so that you receive your visa in time to begin your studies. While your visa may be issued up to 120 days before the start of the academic year, as a new student, you will not be allowed to enter the United States more than 30 days before your start date. Continuing students are welcome to enter at any time as long as their visa is valid.

Fees and Interview

When you are accepted into a SEVP-approved school, you will be enrolled in the Student and Exchange Visitor INformation System (SEVIS). From here, you must pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee. The school will then issue you the Form I-20, which you will present to the consular officer at your visa interview. You must also pay $160 for the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, also known as Form DS-160. You will then schedule an interview at the US Embassy or Consulate in your home country. At your interview, you must demonstrate that you meet the requirements for the visa for which you are applying.

US Student Visa Processing Time

The US student visa (F-1 visa) is one of the most easily processed visas. In fact, the study permit is frequently processed prior to your embassy interview. The final step in the application process is the interview. The consular officer should be able to tell you whether or not your application was approved by the end of the interview. Some F-1 visa applications take several days to process, so your approval may come several days after the interview.

Can You Work in the US with a Study Visa?

Many students wish to work part-time while studying in the United States in order to support themselves. A few restrictions will apply in this case. F-1 students who wish to work are not permitted to work off-campus during their first academic year, but are permitted to work in certain on-campus jobs. F-1 students may work off-campus after the first academic year if the employment is Curricular Practical Training, Optional Practical Training, or Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Training Extension.

After completing their studies, an M-1 student may only work in practical training positions. However, M-1 students may work on or off campus in certain positions as long as they are authorized. Both F-1 and M-1 students must ensure that any off-campus employment they obtain is related to their field of study and has been approved by the Designated School Official who manages SEVIS and USCIS prior to the start date.

US Student Visa to Green Card

While studying in the United States is not a direct pathway to immigration, there is the possibility of working in the United States after graduation. Individuals are expected to leave the United States after graduation unless they apply for post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT). This allows F-1 visa holders to work part-time or full-time for up to 12 months in a role that must be directly related to their major field of study.

If they meet the eligibility requirements, certain STEM students may be eligible for a 24-month extension. To apply for OPT, a student must request that their academic institution’s designated school official recommend them. The student will then apply for employment authorization through USCIS using Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

F-1 visa holders may be eligible to petition for an H-1B visa and change of status, a process known as a “Cap-Gap.” This bridges the time between when the F-1 visa expires and when the H-1B visa and employment begin. However, the application must be submitted on time because the effective dates are very specific. While an H-1B visa is only valid for six years, the beneficiary may be eligible to apply for a Green Card after that time.

Getting started is easy. All you need to do is to contact us or visit our website, www.silvercloudtravelsng.com today. We’ll take it from there.

ALSO READ: How to Study in the USA without IELTS 2022

Leave a Reply